Beautifully slimy, silky, and chunky okra soup. This is a soup I started to make when I first moved out of my mother’s house. It’s easy to make, filling, and perfect for days when you want something fast, delicious, and nutritious to eat. It is indeed slimy and for me, that is the best part and the whole point of this dish.
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 2 tbsp coconut oil or butter
- 2 cups of chicken stock
- 1 cup thinly sliced okra
- 1 cup cooked shredded chicken
- Hot pepper sauce to taste
- Heat the oil/melt the butter over a medium heat soup pan. Add garlic and onions and cook until onions are translucent.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, bring to a boil, and reduce heat to low. Cover and allow to simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes. Adjust seasoning.
You can substitute one of the cups of water for coconut milk. This will make the soup even thicker.
You can also add 1 tsp of curry when cooking the onions for added flavor.
Add any cooked protein. It does not have to be chicken.
Squeeze a lemon or lime at the end. Add zest.