This has to be one of my favorite soups. It is filling and simple to make. The addition of coconut milk makes it extra special.
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 1 13.5 oz can of coconut milk
- 2 tbs minced garlic
- 2tbs minced ginger
- ½ cup diced onions
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped cilantro for garnish
- Rinse the lentils
- In a medium pot combine all ingredients and add 3 cups of cold water
- Bring to a boil and watch carefully as it can overflow. Once it gets to a boil lower heat, put the lid on the pot.
- Simmer gently for an hour, adding water if it gets too thick. Cook a little more if the lentils are not soft enough.
- Check for seasoning and garnish with cilantro, if using.
- Serve with crackers or bread for a filling meal.
Variations: You can add carrots, spinach, cabbage or any other vegetables as desired.