Chicken Soup is one of those foods that are comforting and almost universally loved. This recipe is one of the many versions of it. A bowl can cure the common cold, a bout of nostalgia or even a broken heart.
Cuban Chicken Soup (Sopa de Pollo)
- 6 chicken thighs, bone in, skinned
- 6 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 2 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 ears of corn, each cut in 3 pieces
- fine noodles (I used thin spaghetti…about 1 cup, broken in half)
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
Salt chicken lightly. Add water, chicken, tomato paste, onion, corn, garlic and oregano to large pot. Bring to boil, then reduce to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
Add potatoes and carrots. Cover and simmer another 30 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Add noodles, saffron, lemon juice salt and pepper and cook until pasta is ready.
Recipe inspired by:
* Photos in remembrance of Helia Hernandez, a little girl I will never forget and who loved chicken soup with a passion.